‘I’ve learned a lot in the last 12 months at the NIAA. I’ve been in three different rotations. The skills that have best served me, that I brought with me—being a creative problem solver, someone with a really can-do attitude, just being prepared to run with whatever problems you encounter rather than getting absolutely stuck on them.’ - Tal, 2021 NIAA Graduate
You are a committed, energetic and curious person who embodies NIAA’s values and behaviours
- We respect multiple perspectives.
- We are authentic.
- We are professional and act with integrity.
- We invest in each other’s success.
- We deliver with purpose.
You are motivated to achieve the Agency’s vision and purpose
- You are committed to improving the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities.
- You are a high achiever who wants to make a difference to the future of our country through your contributions in the Australian Public Service.
- You have awareness of your own strengths and weaknesses and are able to identify opportunities to develop and broaden your skills and knowledge.
- You have an understanding of the work of the Agency.
You have an awareness of issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples
- You demonstrate an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- You are aware of how to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- You are committed to further developing your cultural competency and awareness.
- You are genuine with a positive approach to diversity and individual differences.
You have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- You appropriately adapt your communication style to communicate information with influence.
- You write simply, clearly and concisely in a well-structured and logical way.
- You have strong relationship management skills and can establish positive rapport with people at all levels, and are able to build, maintain and use networks.
- You are able to work and achieve outcomes both independently and as part of a team.
You have demonstrated sound judgment and problem solving skills
- You understand the relationship between issues and how they might connect as part of a larger, complex problem.
- You can gather and analyse data from multiple sources of information and have the confidence to probe for further information when required to make rational decisions.
- You actively gather relevant views and consult appropriately.
- You approach problems with an innovative and creative mindset to find workable solutions.
You are agile and resilient
- In the face of obstacles, you persevere to achieve personal and professional goals.
- You work productively in a high pressure environment and adapt and respond well to change and ambiguity, and make the most of the opportunities they present.
- You know how to use your strengths to get through busy and difficult times in the workplace.
- You are able to quickly process and understand new information.