Please note face-to-face events are currently suspended due to COVID 19.
The Work Exposure in Government (WEX) program is an opportunity for high performing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in Years 10, 11 and 12 across Australia to learn about careers in the Australian Government.
WEX is an Australian Government initiative to support future Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders and policy makers in Australia.
WEX 2019 was held in Canberra from Sunday 20 October to Friday 25 October 2019.
Students were accompanied by teachers and mentors who provide cultural mentoring and leadership guidance.
- Meeting senior government Ministers and parliamentarians, including the Prime Minister and the Minister for Indigenous Australians.
- A tour of Parliament House.
- Visits to the Australian Defence Force Academy and the Australian Federal Police headquarters.
- Visits to national institutions including the Australian War Memorial and the Museum of Australian Democracy.
- A careers expo, where students learnt about jobs in a range of government agencies.
Through WEX, participants learnt about:
- Career opportunities in the Australian Government.
- Applying for government jobs.
In person WEX events could not be held in 2020 due to COVID 19. Instead, WEX Virtual ran from May to November 2020.
If you would like more information about WEX, please contact email@example.com.
To stay up to date with WEX applications and information, subscribe to the Indigenous.gov Newsletter.