What is a Vocational Training and Employment Centre?
A Vocational Training and Employment Centre (VTEC) connects Indigenous job seekers with a guaranteed job for 26 weeks.
The guarantee of a job before job-specific training starts, is the key feature of VTECs. This ensures:
- job seekers choose to participate in the program
- vocational or job-specific training is directly related to available jobs
- employers can recruit job seekers with the right skills for specific jobs
- the commitment of job seekers is rewarded with guaranteed employment.
How do VTECs work?
VTECs work closely with services, individuals and communities to identify, train and support Indigenous people into jobs and achieve long-term employment outcomes.
VTECs work with employers, employment services and Indigenous communities to identify jobs and establish training requirements. During a guaranteed work placement of 26 weeks, VTECs provide wrap-around support for the employee.
VTECs work with job seekers to prepare them for a guaranteed job for 26 weeks. This ensures job seekers have the skills to succeed in the job and training meets the needs of the employer.
VTECs take a five-phase approach:
- Community engagement – Engaging with Indigenous communities and building work aspirations among Indigenous job seekers.
- Work readiness – Strengthening the capacity of Indigenous job seekers and addressing barriers to employment.
- Vocational training – Preparing Indigenous job seekers for a specific job in line with an employers’ requirements.
- Guaranteed job – Creating a mutual commitment between job seekers and employers through a guaranteed job for 26 weeks.
- Post-placement support – Focussing on employee retention, which could include employee mentoring and cultural awareness support for employers.
What support do VTECs offer?
VTECs work with service providers to support job seekers to build vocational and non-vocational capabilities. This can include:
- obtaining a driver’s licence
- literacy and numeracy training
- work experience
- pre-employment and workplace training.
Who can be supported by a VTEC?
VTECs are open to Indigenous job seekers including school leavers. Highly disadvantaged job seekers are prioritised.
Where are VTECs located?
VTECs operate across Australia. Download a list of VTEC contact and location details.
For more information about VTEC email email@example.com.