The National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) is committed to implementing the Government’s policies and programs to improve the lives of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The NIAA recognises that each community is unique. Our team includes people across Australia who work closely with communities to make sure policies, programs and services address these unique needs.
We work directly to, and support the Minister for Indigenous Australians.
The NIAA works to influence policy across the entire Australian Government. We liaise closely with State and Territory governments, Indigenous peak bodies, stakeholders and service providers to ensure that Indigenous programs and services are delivering for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as intended.
The National Indigenous Australians Agency was established by an Executive Order signed by the Governor-General on 29 May 2019.
The Executive order gives the NIAA a number of functions, including:
- to lead and coordinate Commonwealth policy development, program design and implementation and service delivery for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- to provide advice to the Prime Minister and the Minister for Indigenous Australians on whole-of-government priorities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- to lead and coordinate the development and implementation of Australia’s Closing the Gap targets in partnership with Indigenous Australians; and
- to lead Commonwealth activities to promote reconciliation.
You can read the full list of responsibilities in the Executive Order.
On 1 December 2019, the NIAA implemented a new structure designed to better meet the Government’s priorities, effectively deliver on our Executive Orders, strengthen our ability to deliver as one team and enhance our partnership with Indigenous Australians.
Key design underpinnings include creating a greater balance of strategic, social and economic policy including a dedicated focus on economic development in the north; enhancing relationships across jurisdictions as well as in place; and improving Agency wide performance.
The NIAA is led by the CEO, Jody Broun, and two Deputy CEOs each with distinct responsibilities. Letitia Hope is the Deputy CEO for Policy and Programs, and Blair Exell is the Deputy CEO for Operations and Delivery.
- NIAA organisation chart 2 September 2022 (PDF 104 KB)
- NIAA organisation chart 2 September 2022 (XLSX 37 KB)