Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are heard, recognised and empowered.
The National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) works in genuine partnership to enable the self-determination and aspirations of First Nations communities. We lead and influence change across government to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples have a say in the decisions that affect them.
The National Indigenous Australians Agency was established by an Executive Order signed by the Governor-General on 29 May 2019.
The Executive Order gives the NIAA a number of functions, including:
- to lead and coordinate Commonwealth policy development, program design and implementation and service delivery for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- to provide advice to the Prime Minister and the Minister for Indigenous Australians on whole-of-government priorities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- to lead and coordinate the development and implementation of Australia’s Closing the Gap targets in partnership with Indigenous Australians; and
- to lead Commonwealth activities to promote reconciliation.
You can read the full list of responsibilities in the Executive Order.
The NIAA structure is designed to better meet the Government’s priorities to effectively deliver on our Executive Order, strengthen our ability to deliver as one team and enhance our partnership with Indigenous Australians.
Key design underpinnings include creating a greater balance of strategic, social and economic policy including a dedicated focus on e/sites/default/files/files/niaa-org-chart.pdfconomic development in the north; enhancing relationships across jurisdictions as well as in place; and improving Agency wide performance.
The NIAA is led by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Jody Broun, Deputy CEO for Policy and Programs, Julie-Ann Guivarra, Deputy CEO, Operations and Delivery, Kevin Brahim (A/g), and Chief Operating Officer, Enabling Services, Rachael Jackson.
- NIAA organisation chart 21 November 2023 (PDF 54 KB)
- NIAA organisation chart 21 November 2023 (XLSX 39 KB)
- We respect multiple perspectives
- We are authentic
- We are professional and act with integrity
- We invest in each other's success
- We deliver with purpose