The 1,000 Jobs Package increases employment opportunities in remote Australia for Community Development Program (CDP) participants. Eligible employers can receive financial support of up to $57,020.48 (GST exclusive) over two years, including retention bonuses, to help them hire a CDP participant in a new, ongoing job located in a CDP region.
The 1,000 Jobs Package is a demand driven, eligibility based grant opportunity being delivered in two tranches.
Tranche One was open from 1 September 2019 to 30 December 2019. initial grant opportunity of up to 200 subsidies.
Tranche Two opened on 31 December 2019 and was due to close 30 April 2021.
Tranche Two has been extended and will now close 30 June 2023 or when 1,000 Jobs funding is committed.
Over two years, eligible employers can receive:
- a wage subsidy of up to $53,305.19 (GST exclusive) paid at an hourly rate in arrears.
- a retention bonus of up to $5,000 (GST exclusive) for retaining a CDP participant in employment, paid in instalments.
- Tranche Two includes a Youth Engagement Jobs stream for employers who create employment opportunities for CDP participants to work with youth (this is for jobs to support youth, not necessarily jobs for youth). Jobs under the Youth Engagement Jobs Stream are eligible for additional incentives, including:
- a commencement payment of $1,000 (GST exclusive) for employers.
- an employee bonus of up to $2,000 (GST exclusive) for remaining in employment, paid in instalments. Payments will be made to employers to be passed on to employees.
Employers can receive 1,000 Jobs Package funding if they meet all the eligibility criteria in the Tranche Two grant opportunity guidelines available on GrantConnect. This includes having an Australian Business Number (ABN) and offering a job that:
- is new, ongoing, part-time or full-time job for a minimum of 15 hours per week.
- employs a CDP participant and is located in a CDP region.
- complies with all relevant Commonwealth and state/territory legislation and regulations, including Work Health and Safety and relevant employment standards.
- Employers applying for the Youth Engagement Jobs stream must meet additional eligibility criteria, including creating jobs that:
- have duties primarily focused on working with people aged 24 years and under to strengthen their engagement with their culture and community and/or promote mental health and social wellbeing (These are jobs to support youth, not necessarily jobs for youth).
- will be filled by CDP participants that have (or have the ability to gain prior to employment) appropriate registrations or qualifications (i.e. working with vulnerable people registration).
Some jobs are not eligible for a 1,000 Jobs Package wage subsidy, including:
- casual jobs.
- work that displaces an existing employee.
- jobs that are to be fully funded under another Commonwealth government program or a state or territory government program.
How to apply
Employers will first need to contact their local CDP provider and a representative of the NIAA. Once they have made contact with both NIAA and their local CDP provider they can lodge an application on GrantConnect.
To view the Tranche Two grant opportunity guidelines visit GrantConnect, click on GO documents and set up a new registration.
For 1,000 Jobs Package general enquires please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 079 098.
Visit the CDP website for details about CDP, including where CDP operates and CDP providers.